From MIT to Planet Earth.
As an experience designer, I’m committed to building a more dignified and equitable shared future for both humans and our planet.
Trained as a design thinker and problem solver at MIT and the University of Washington, I thrive at challenging the status quo and venturing deep into the unknown. I love to work on all stages of the human-centered design process and co-creating with our stakeholders to reshape a better future, together.
Launching moonshot projects into the hands of users.
7 years ago, I joined the MIT Media Lab as an undergrad. From there, I worked on moonshot projects integrating radical ideas across disciplines, from designing shapeshifting architecture to hacking adaptive-learning skateboards.
I then went on to redefine interactive experiences around robotic apartments, travel booking, and business intelligence, launching my work into the hands of millions of users around the globe.
Co-creating with diverse communities around the world.
My research practice has opened up incredible opportunities to co-create with teenagers in Hong Kong, octogenarians in Seattle, entrepreneurs in Ghana, and activists in Palestine.
Facilitating intergenerational storytelling
Empowering African business owners to grow their ventures
Pushing the boundaries of what’s possible.
For over 16 years, I trained and competed around the country and world as a figure skater, pushing the boundaries of athleticism and artistry representing Team USA on the global stage. That relentless commitment to craft and practice continues to influence my work as a designer leading with a critical & reflexive voice.
This is just the start.
I would love to hear from you. Please reach me at kevshum[at]uw[dot]edu.
- University of Washington ’24 — M.S. Human Centered Design & Engineering (HCDE)
- MIT ’19 — S.B. Computer Science & Engineering (Member of Tau Beta Pi & Eta Kappa Nu Honor Societies)
- ETH Zürich ’18 — Human-Computer Interaction
- Designer and developer — Microsoft, OZÉ, Priceline, and Ori
- Research Labs — MIT CSAIL, MIT Media Lab, and ETH Zürich
- Clients — Nordstrom and Credit Suisse
- Teaching — TA for HCDE, Instructor for MIT Global Teaching Labs (GTL) and Global Startup Labs (GSL)
- Figure skater — Team USA
- Writer — MIT Admissions
- Volunteer — MIT Alumni
- Educational Counselor — MIT Admissions
- Board member — MIT Club of Puget Sound